Friday, July 17, 2009

"Burning Ring Of Fire..."

This week was Basic Safety Training Week. We have been learning about basic ship board safety, first aid, water safety and fire fighting.
Today we had to put on full "bunker" gear and got to fight fires. I have discovered my brother, who is a real fire fighter, has all the fire fighting genes! Even though parts of this day were really fun and exciting, I will not be joining the fire team aboard ship or becoming a recruit for the next fire department! We started the morning at 7 am, with thankfully a "coolish" breeze and ended at noon in the full Texas heat! We rotated around different stations putting out simulated fires, finding and moving the rescue "Buck" (Rescue Randy for Gregg) in an enclosed space, learning how to use the different types of fire extinguishers on different types of fires, and going into the cargo container (they made into a fire box) to put out a fire. Mike and I were the first team into the cargo container after they lit the fire. When we went into the container it was smokey, hot, (800 deg F) and zero visibility. Needless to say-my gut reaction was "get me out of here" but I stuck it out, fought the fire, and got out! Both of our helmets were so covered in soot we could not see when we got out of the container. (The one photo shows my helmet compared to the helmet of the last person in the container.) All in all we survived - it was a once in a life time experience and I am truly glad and thankful for that aspect being over and I have gained a new respect and admiration for our fire fighters! (YEAH GREGG!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment