Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Another Job..."

I have done many different blogs on the variety of jobs that I have seen people working at  in Sierra Leone.  They have not been easy jobs...I have watched the tailor sew for hours straight, without a break, to get an outfit done...I have seen women strain under the loads they carry on their heads through the market with a child on their back...I have also seen men put every once of energy into pushing a cart filled with onions, peppers, or any variety items through the potholed streets of Freetown...or pulling for hours on a fishing net...  Whatever the jobs is, they all require a tremendous amount of strength and fortitude.

While I was at church on Sunday, I was yet confronted with another job that is extreme manual labour...making sand blocks for a building.  Now for those of us who live in the west with a "Home Depot", a job like this is absolutely foreign.  I watched these men take turns mixing the sand, filling the mold, letting it set, turning the mold over and doing the job over again in the heat of the day.
 You can see from the amount of blocks that are done, they are not idol in their job.  They work steady...alternating turns.
It will be interesting when we return next week for church, to see what these blocks have been used to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment