Saturday, December 3, 2011

"What I See..."

This is the Africa Mercy in port in Freetown, Sierra Leone.  The ship has been docked here for almost 10 months.  Initially when you look at this photo, a person might think-WOW what a wonderful area to be docked...the ocean, the trees, the mountains...it almost looks like a resort instead of a third world country.

What I see when I look at this photo brings a lot of mixed feelings.  I see friends we have made-in our day workers, churches, businesses we visited-people we met on the streets.  I see patients-some who were with us only a day and others for months.  I see lives changed through surgeries-people with a renewed sense of hope and a future.  I see lives touched with kindness and love-even though some news was not always the best.

I also see a nation in desperate need to healing.  A nation that has been devastated by war.  A nation where there is only a medical system for those who can afford it-4 hospital beds for every 10 000 people- 2 physicians for every 100 000 people. A nation where going to a dentist is a luxury.  A nation where 75% of the population live on less the $2.00 per day.

I also see people from over 40 different nations.  People who give up their time, finances, vacations, being with family to be part of an amazing journey.  Some stay for only a few weeks, while others have stayed for 25 years.  I see dedication.  Dedication to make an impact, to make a difference in the lives of another.  To love the "unlovable".

I see the working of Jesus....His hands, His feet, His body...

No comments:

Post a Comment