Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Happiness Is..."

Many years ago (actually I was about 12 years old) in school I remember learning a song called "Happiness Is".   Some of the lyrics I can remember are:  "Happiness is two kinds of ice cream, finding your skate key, telling the time... Happiness is walking hand in hand."  I have been mentally composing my "Happiness Is" list about what I have come to appreciate while living aboard the Africa Mercy.  I know it may sound silly but living on a ship, with around 400 other people from 30 plus different countires, in West Africa serving the poorest of the poor puts a whole new perspective on life.

Happiness Is...:
  • Times of quietness and rest
  • Mail
  • Phone calls from friends and family
  • Emails from friends and family
  • Air Conditioning
  • A fan (for when the Air Conditioning is not working)
  • Hugs from my husband, children, and friends
  • Hugs from grateful patients or patient's moms
  • A smile from eye patients who can now see
  • Day Volunteers who can translate for me
  • Having people to pray with
  • West African dancing, singing, and drums
  • A pool on a hot day
  • Patient's before and after pictures
  • Balloons and bubbles
  • A good book
  • Doing work that has meaning and purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment