Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"First and Last Things..."

These last few days have been full of a lot of  "last things".  We are at the time of the outreach when surgery has stopped, there are a few patients left of the ward, short term crew is departing, and we say farewell to our day volunteers-who have become like family.  We are getting ready to sail to South Africa.
Esther, a patient came to see me last week to say good-bye.
Packing up and cleaning the hospital.
 
Saying good-bye to the Patient Life family...
 
Mike preached his last Sunday at the church we have been attending.  Saying good-bye to his translator.

But, in the midst of all the good-bye's we have had a first.  Yesterday, the Academy had their first day of school.  Now the first day of school on the ship is a little different.  I remember growing up, the first day of school was always full of "newness".  Who will be my teacher?   Who will be in my class?  Who is new to the school?  Who left the school?  Will I be with my friends?  Here the kids already know their teachers, their friends, who is in their class etc.  I think it takes a lot of tension out of the first day of school.  One thing remains the same, is the excitement.  There is always something exciting about the first day of school...even mom taking pictures!
Alisia grade 10.
 
Joshua grade 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment