Saturday, December 18, 2010

"Perspective..."

I was walking to the shower room the other night and happened to look down on the window ledge and saw a cockroach sitting there.  Now my immediate thought was not....AAAAHHHH A COCKROACH!!!!... it was more...oh, a cockroach.  My reaction got me pondering about perspectives.

While living in the United States, I tend to like things clean, orderly, relatively bugs free, so my reactions would have been rather different and much more intense than they are now.

*Cockroach...."MIKE...THERE IS A COCKROACH ON THE WINDOW LEDGE!!!!" And he would come and dispose of it rather quickly.
*Rats/Mice...."MIKE...THERE IS A RAT/MOUSE IN THE HALL"  And he would set a trap and remove the remains, rather quickly. (As a disclimer-I would not have cockroaches, mice/rats in our house to start with!)
*Mold in the shower..."MIKE...WE HAVE MOLD GROWING IN THE SHOWER"  And he would get some super strong cleaner from "Home Depot" and redeem the shower of the minor mold growth.
*Power just goes out..."MIKE THE POWER IS OUT..SHOULD I CALL THE POWER COMPANY?"  Mike says:  No, it will come back on quickly.
*Water/Internet goes off...Well that one does not happen.

I think you now get the general idea of my reactions.

Now that we have been at Appelsbosch for almost 4 months, my reactions have changed a bit.
*Oh, a cockroach.
*Oh, a rat/mouse.
*Oh, mold everywhere  (Not kidding on the everywhere!)
*Oh the power is off...again.
*Oh, the water is off...again. (The main question is, for how many hours/days)
*Oh, the toilets don't flush...again.  (Bucket flush again...)
*Oh, the internet is off...again.

It amazes me how we adapt to the situation we are in.  The alternative is to be miserable and complain about it...but really, what does that accomplish but make everyone else miserable.  Then we just feed off of one another.

I leave you with this thought from Joshua.  We were driving down the road the other day and Joshua says rather matter-a-factly...like he sees one every day:  "Oh, look a Zebra."   Perspective...it is really what we make and what we do with the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment