Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"RETURNING..."

One of the great pleasures we had returning to Lome, Togo, was returning to the churches we had served the first time we were here.  I (Mike) had the great blessing of preaching about 3 out of 4 Sundays at either the main church or a church plant that was a few kilometers away.  They had treated us a family accepting us as part of them.  When we said good bye, there were tears and prayers that we would return.

Those prayers were answered.  When we returned to the main church on the first Sunday we could, greeting was something I had never experienced before.  The Pastor grabbed me in a big bear hug lifted me off the ground (I'm no light weight :)) and spun me around yelling hello my pastor.  As we walked into the church there were yells of joy.  It was an exceptionally emotional time for me and it was difficult to keep my composure.

We were amazed at how much the church had grown, both in numbers and in the size of the building.  It seemed that they had taken down walls of a partially built church building and increased the size of the church.  A brick fence had been erected around the building, with plans not to take it down and build it again, giving more room.
The membership of the church must have increased by 30% or more, the church was packed.
Joshua grew also, now a head taller that other boys in the church.
The kids still enjoyed getting their picture taken.
I believe this the line of the original church, it grew out from here.
The people of the church had to sit in the portico(under construction) because the sanctuary was full.
As an added blessing, the Pastor made an announcement that I am now the number 2 pastor of the church.
We then went to the church plant.  I never thought the reception could get bigger than at the main church, but this small church just blew us away with cheers.  They also had grown, when we were there before we worshipped and danced to the Lord on sand floors, now there was concrete floor and a wonderful platform.
This is a picture of a young lady, she has a club foot, but walks a good distance to church every Sunday.  The last Sunday we were here before we left, we gave her a Bible in her language of Ewe (Evaa).  She was so glad she hugged it and gave thanks to the Lord.  When we got back, she still had the Bible, but now it was well used, and she still had the joy of the Lord in her.  I call her my little sister.

I have been taken to a second church plant even smaller the the first, and look forward to worshipping there.  The way it looks I will be preaching every Sunday at one of the churches.  They have asked me to preach at a big outdoor evangelism celebration.  This is going to be truly a wonderful 6 months of serving the Lord with our church family here in Togo.

No comments:

Post a Comment