Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Choose Life..."

Yesterday was one of those days....long.

The night before I ran into one of our doctors who tells me about a young man on the ward who did not want to have a blood transfusion.  I told him I would talk with him the next morning-which was yesterday.

The morning began as usual, devotional and prayer time with my team of crew and day volunteers.  We prayed for the day and prayed for the pending conversation with the young man.

I took a few moments to talk with my day volunteers briefing him on the conversation we were going to have.  The young man is 20 years old, father died of AIDS, he does not want a blood transfusion, he does not believe in blood transfusions, he's scared...

We walk down the hall of the wards and head to the young man's bed.  The smell coming from the tumor protruding from his mouth fills the whole ward.  As we near his bed the smell is stronger, like rotting meat.  I pray, "God help me to love this young man, not smell the odor, to look into his eyes and not at his tumor." 

As I sit down next to him, I look into his eyes, tell him my name, and introduce my translator to him.  I ask him if he would mind talking with us in a quieter place.  We move down the hall to the old ICU, I place my hand tenderly on his back.

Seated in the old ICU, I start asking him questions about where he lives, his family, his parents, siblings, and church.  His shame is so evident, he does not want to look at me or my translator in the eyes.  We try hard to make him feel comfortable.

Finally, I talk with him about surgery and tell him if he does not consent to a blood transfusion, the doctor will not operate.  "Our surgeons will not let you bleed to death in the operating room...we protect life." 

He now is faced with the most difficult decision of his young life.  Does he give permission for the blood transfusion and live, or does he refuse and sentence himself to death in 1-2 months.  We pray with him, and give him time to think.

During the rest of the morning and at lunch we are in constant prayer for him.  A verse of scripture comes to mind, I thank God for giving me the verse and quickly after lunch I take a translator and give the verse to the young man.

Later that afternoon, I receive a page.  " We need a decision about his surgery in fifteen minutes."  My translator and I pray.  We go to him and let him know, we need a decision.  We watch him struggle.  We pray while he thinks...will he choose life?  Or will he choose death?  He looks at me, and motions that he will sign the papers to okay the blood transfusion, if needed.  I have my translator read the paper to him to ensure he understands...he hesitates...he signs....

I watch a tear trickle down his face.  I give him a big hug and tell him how brave he is, how proud I am of him.  I realize it was not an easy decision...I take the papers to the ward and say:  "He chose life..."

Today I walked this scared young man to the operating room.  Prayed with him and released him into God's hands.  Six hours later, I went down to the ward to see if his surgery is complete.  The charge nurse says to me:  "Have you seen him?  You're going to cry."  I walk over to his bed with tears running down my face I look into the face of a happy young man.  I told him he did not have to have a transfusion and he says:  "Praise God"!  I told him God has honoured him for choosing life.

Duet. 30:19-20

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

No comments:

Post a Comment