Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Random Thoughts..."

Lately, I have been pondering several of the stories that I have heard from the patients.  They all are so full of loss, suffering, pain, and tragedy.  I often wonder...does anything that is said or done make a difference when-
Children are saying:
  • I lost both parents in the war.
  • My mother abandoned me because I am sick.
  • My neighbour is taking care of me.  I am sometimes given food.
  • I had to quit school because the kids teased me badly.
Adults are saying:
  • I have no home.
  • My husband left me when my child was born with a split lip.
  • I was told I am cursed.
  • I have spent all my money on finding a "cure".
Caregivers are saying:
  • The previous operations did not work-the doctor took all our money.
  • It is God's will my child is sick.
  • I am being punished because my child is sick.
  • I can't go to work because I have to look after my child.
Each story has a different face.  Each pain goes to the core of their being.  Each in their own way feels helpless.  Each person, prior to coming to the ship, has lost hope.  There is nothing I can say that would change any of these stories.  The doctors can repair the physical body...

However...in many ways, Mercy Ships, is not only repairing the physical body.  We are providing hope and healing...beyond the body.  We are trying to be the hands and the feet of Jesus.  The only one who can provide true hope and true healing.  We cannot "fix" any of these situations.  But we know that Jesus is the only one who can help people through these situations.  He can be their hope.  He can be their healing.  For most of our patients, He is the only one who can make a difference in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment