Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Celebration of Eye Sight...pt 2"

Here are two pictures from the eye team. The first one is of ophthalmologist Dr. Elmer looking after one of the cataract patients. The second one is of a baby named Ricardo, who is a cataract patient, with his mother. "The blind shall see" Mtt. 11:5 But on another note, let me tell you another story. On the street corners in town there are blind people, who stand there with small boys who lead them up to cars to beg for money when the cars are stopped. I was told that one of the blind people was offered a chance to come to one of the Mercy Ships clinic to see if his cataracts could be removed and he could be helped. He refused the help. Why? We all asked. The person told us, if he had the surgery he would have to find a new job. This response saddened and frustrated me. I pondered my feelings for a few days and thought how many times I had been unwilling to change something because I would have to then find something new or do something new...go out of my "comfort zone." I really admire the patients that do choose to come to the ship. They are choosing, for many of them, a new life...a new start... What a lesson to learn-to step out of the ordinary and experience the "extra"-ordinary. To not be hold back by chains of unchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment