Sunday, August 2, 2009

"She makes linen garments and sells them... Prov. 31:24"

This morning a group of us went to "Floride Fait Main au Benin" (Handmade by Floride of Benin). For me this was my first in town adventure off ship. Mike and I walked the pier the other night, but today was the first time in town since our adventure at the airport. Our group went to a local lady who hand makes dresses, shirts, scarves, bags, tableclothes, and much more. She is amazing...her work is amazing! To me, in someways, she is a Proverbs 31 woman. She dyes her own cloth, makes the prints, draws the batik on the table linens, and does all her own designing. During the rainy season, I was told, her shop was flooded and had water and mud all throughout the shop.
This is the entrance to "Floride Fait Main Au Benin" Looking from the entry way into the back of her shop.
In this area, she does all they dying and decorating of her fabrics.
This is an Indigo dyed skirt.A stamped carrying bag (ie: for groceries).
I am truly amazed at the simplicity and the "rusticness"of her surroundings and the incredible work that she does. I was told that she takes many of her clothes to Paris to sell. She also showed us a picture of herself modeling one of her styles in a magazine. It makes me think twice about complaining about not having a "new" sewing machine (I have my mom's old 1960 Singer). And it also makes me realize how truly blessed I am...I have no cause to complain...it just makes me think...

No comments:

Post a Comment