Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Life in Cotonou..."

There are so many different experiences I would like to talk about...so I thought I would post pictures and talk about the pictures...

This is a view from our cabin window. Imagine people pay millions for an ocean view... These fishermen are all over the port first thing in the morning. They are so hard working it amazes me. They will pull on their nets for about 3/4 of an hour to bring the net in. My first thought was: "Boy do they catch a lot of fish with how far they have there nets out." Then to my surprise, I watched them bring in the net and there was only a handful of fish.

We went to Church on Sunday, and this little guy kept walking in circles around us. So one of the people we were with gave him a balloon and he walked in circles around us trying to blow up the balloon. At first he was very shy and timid. Then he became very courageous and sat with some of us. When I took his picture, I showed him the back of the camera to show him the picture, suddenly there were several kids who wanted their pictures taken and to see their picture.

This is the Pastor speaking at the church. It was interesting, the preachers spoke in French, the man standing next to him translated into "Fon" (the local dialect) and we had someone translating into English for us. The service was about 3 hours...apparently short for African time...and they only took one offering...usually they take 2 or more. During the offering, everyone goes to the front and gives their offering. If you are left sitting it is unusual!

This is a picture of a craft market. All the vendors of the little shops (I mean little...you put 4 people in the shop and you cannot move) call you to come into their shop and stand at the door till you look at everything. Then when you don't buy from them they look rejected. They all say to you: "Mercy Ships...I give you a good deal...extra low price" Translation..."Mercy Ships...you are a foreigner and rich...I give you an extra high price." They expect you to negotiate with them and usually you get 1/3-1/2 less on the price. Some you have to walk away from and pretend to no longer be interested before they will lower their price. Interesting...

This man was weaving table runners and table linens. I asked to take his picture and he agreed. Then after he wanted me to pay him for taking his picture. I told him I would look in his shop.

This is a "lawn mower". The donkey just walks around eating the little bit of grass there is planted...grass is a rare sight.
This is not a Costco can of olives. It is on the regular shelf at the grocery store. This was a more "western" store. It is the newest one here...things are very expensive. Joshua looked at a box of Lego...it would have cost $10 in the US at this store it was $36 US.
First day of school. Odd going to school aboard a ship. The kids only walk to the end of our deck (deck 6)...mom or dad do not need to drive! They see their teachers at meals, devotions, and at church.
Local traffic in Cotonou...crazy...The taxis here are motorcycles...and they think they own the road...you just stay out of their way.
Well, that is the end of my tour. It is a different life here. But we really like it and feel blessed to have the opportunity to experience the things that we do experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment