Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"A man named Sunday..."

Let me first introduce to you and man named Sunday. Sunday came from Nigeria to have surgery on a tumor he has had for 28 years. (I had previously mentioned him in an earlier blog.) He is an amazing man and we had great times talking over the last few days. Today Sunday went home. His children are excited to see him...they have never known him without his tumor. He said people will not know him because he has always been identified/known by his tumor. But before he left, he came to the ward to say good-bye to everyone who he has come in contact with since before his surgery. He told me that he is very excited to go home and visit all the churches he is involved in and proclaim the wonderful thing God has done for him in bringing him to the ship to provide for the removal of his tumor. During the last few days, he has spent his time in the ward and in the hospitality center (a place where patients can stay after they have been released from the hospital but still need to come back to the ship for post-operative care) "testifying". I am sure there is not one person who has not heard his story and about the love of Jesus Christ and the provision of eternal life through Christ.

This next picture is of Mike and me after church on Sunday. It is a tradition to provide guests with a coconut. Apparently one of the members of the church went first thing Sunday morning, climbed the coconut tree and retrieved the coconuts that we are going to drink the milk from and eat the pulp. I have to admit I was unable to finish my coconut milk...there was a lot of liquid! (It also is not like the coconuts from Hawaii.) Mike did much better than me and finished his "drink". Oh, I should tell you the coconut was chopped open with a machete (see next picture). Then when you're done you just throw the coconut out
the window...yet another experience to add to our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment