Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Random Things..."

There are a lot of random things that I wanted to share today...so here we go...

Some of the fun things that we do aboard ship to occupy ourselves is crew events. This first picture is of the day we had the "Benin Games". The several different decks of the ship is used for events. Teams make up names, costumes, etc. and have fun together. Joshua's team won a certificate for the "Wildest Team". Alisia's team won the "Best Bribe" certificate.

The next picture is of Canadian Thanksgiving. Since the Executive Chef of the ship is a Canadian, he went all out on a wonderful dinner of Cornish Game Hen, green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and Pumpkin pie. Then the Canadians got together and played a Canadian version of Jeopardy...East vs. West. Unfortunately the western side of Canada lost...but we all had fun. It has been great for Alisia and Joshua to be claimed as Canadians too...they even let Mike join in.
One of the things about Mercy Ships is that you make friends quickly, share intensely, and then have to part. This picture is of Toby and myself. Toby arrived on the same flight that we did back in July. We were picked up at the airport and shuttled back to the ship...Toby through odd circumstances, was left at the airport...that was the start of our friendship. Even though last week Toby left to go home, we will continue our friendship. She is an amazing young woman.A funny yet frustrating things happened a few weeks ago. A day volunteer came into the crew clinic for his appointment...no odd thing. After his appointment he asked me if his brother would be able to come see the doctor because he has a hernia. I explained that we are no longer taking patients from outside the ship and if it is a hernia, the doctor would not be able to do anything for him. So, the next day he came in with a hand full of these wonderful polished shells. He explained to me even more emphatically, that his brother has a hernia and is in a lot of pain and needs to see the doctor. I explained again, the doctor was unable to see or help him. However, I would inquire about surgery for him. I walked over to the other side of the ship and talked with the person who arranges the surgery schedule to see if there was any room. I then returned to the clinic and explain to the man I would need his brother's name and birthday and he would be put on the wait list for surgery, since all the spots are full. The next day the man came back with yet another gift...
Now, many of you may be wondering: "What kind of gift is this to bring to a Christian hospital ship?" Well, remember...we are in Africa...and nothing is as it appears. Almost everything here will be used, reused, reused, recycled, and recycled.
The bottle is full of sugar covered dried peanuts! Apparently his wife made them and wanted to give them to me so her brother-in-law would be able to have surgery. I explained to the man again, I could only put his brother on the wait list and that is the best I can do. He did return the next day with a translator to explain, yet again, the situation...and I again explained, I had put his brother's name on the wait list, but beyond that I could do no more...it is out of my control. I did hear that since we are almost at the end of our time in Benin, we were hoping to at least get through the people on the surgery wait list. I do hope his brother will be able to have his surgery.

This next picture is of Alisia. She is wearing her new African outfit. She also decided to get her hair cut off. She looks very stylish and grown up! Finally, while Mike and I enjoyed a classical guitar concert put on by Dr. Glenn Strauss our Eye Surgeon (he heads a team that does up to 30 eye surgeries a day. So far, since February, they restored the sight of over 3000 people), the kids were up on Deck 8 enjoying a costume party.

Alisia as a "Diva" and Joshua as a "Cool Dude".
We are so thankful for our time here. We see God working in many different ways, even amidst all of our randomness...He has a plan and to Him nothing is random.

No comments:

Post a Comment